Can’t get my dwarf wall square

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a conservatory which requires a dwarf wall.
I just can’t get it square, I have built it up to 4 course high but it is running in about 3 inches. should be 3901x 3085. From corner to corner, to corner to corner crossing the middle it is spot on, yet the opposite wall to the house it is short by 3 inches. If I move it out 3901 at the opposite wall the corner to corner measurements or out. Can anyone tell me where I have gone wrong.

Sponsored Links
it sounds as if you are not coming off the main house wall square, but 'diamonding'. this will make one diagonal measurement a lot shorter than the other even though all the walls are parallel.

you can make a 90 degree any size.....right angle triangle 3-4-5....3 on one leg, 4 on the other then when the slope is 5 it`s 90 degrees....or if you like the square on the hypotenuse is = to the sum of the square on the other two sides........3squared=9.... 4 squared=16 ... 9+16=25...5 squared=25 ;) (can be any length...as long as the length is set and used for each measure)

Nige F said:
you can make a 90 degree any size.....right angle triangle 3-4-5....3 on one leg, 4 on the other then when the slope is 5 it`s 90 degrees....or if you like the square on the hypotenuse is = to the sum of the square on the other two sides........3squared=9.... 4 squared=16 ... 9+16=25...5 squared=25 ;) (can be any length...as long as the length is set and used for each measure)

great fellah that Pythagarus. ;)

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
it sounds as if you are not coming off the main house wall square, but 'diamonding'. this will make one diagonal measurement a lot shorter than the other even though all the walls are parallel.

Just checked it and your spot on thanks, I have'nt come of the wall square, I've got to start again and pull down my wall, I'm glad i did'nt try and fit the conservatory.
cheers.

It's probably too late for this time, but for the next ....

Set up some timber profiles just past each corner of the new wall
Then run some string lines to each profile - denoting where the wall face will be
Then check that all the lines are in the right place (and square etc)
Then transfer some levels off the main house to where the new corners will be and work out the guage for each course up to the level (datum)
Then build the corners (having worked out brick spacing back to the house so the bond is correct)
Then lay the bricks between the corners/house

And if you have the concervatory cill, then use that to set out the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back