Can a concrete block go under a padstone to make up the height?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got new steels going in for a loft conversion which involves lowering the floors. One side of the brick/ padstone is now the right height for the steel after redoing some of the mortar, but I just can't get the other side to the right height without removing and replacing loads of brick. The current height needed is about 35mm, which leaves me with two options.

1st option is to reduce the mortar bed on the brick below and then put a course of concrete slips which should have me about there, padstone on top. This should work fine but I can't find any merchants local to me stocking these.

The second and simpler option is to cut a dense concrete block to ~100m high (so a horizontal cut), remove one course of bricks and replace with the cut block, then padstone on top. The padstone is 440x100x215 so 1 block is the same width making it quite simple.

The house is Edwardian so brick walls everywhere. Would either of the above options be okay for Building Control? I can't see why not but also can't see anyone mixing concrete blocks in a brick wall/ under a padstone (albeit, it's just the 1 block for option 2).

Side note that I would much prefer to sit the steel directly on pad and not pack underneath, and I also don't want to change the levels too much as it impacts heights, so want to get it as perfect as possible with the brick/ padstones.

Sponsored Links
Make up a new padstone, and leave enough room for packing, it's your friend when it comes to levelling.

You could use a solid 65mm engineering brick cut down the middle if you prefer to use bricks, (no need to cut out existing brick) but can't see an issue using a cut down dense block.

Sponsored Links
Make up a new padstone, and leave enough room for packing, it's your friend when it comes to levelling.

I wanted to get the steel in place and pack up the padstone with slate and mortar underneath it (between pad and brick) to get the top of the pad flush with the steel, rather than packing under the steel. I've also bought all the padstones the engineer has specced so want to make use of them
You could use a solid 65mm engineering brick cut down the middle if you prefer to use bricks, (no need to cut out existing brick) but can't see an issue using a cut down dense block.
Not a bad shout - if BC is fine with this then i'd happily go with that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back