Can a system boiler be used in an open vented setup?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've just brought an viessmann vitodens 200 system boiler with the intention of fitting as a direct replacement for me 20 year old regular boiler (as its starting to make weird noises on start up!)
When i brought it i was told it could be used in a vented system (maybe sales pitch?!) but now every corgi plumber that sees it says to me it has to be used in a pressurized system due to its use of filling loop and pressure gauge! I dont think my current hotwater tank and pipework could withstand a pressurized system so suddenly it seems like a very expensive job!
Might just sell veissmann and buy in a greenstar 24ri as this can definitely be used in my system!
Thanks for your time
Dan Godfrey

Sponsored Links
Some system boilers can cope with 0.5 bar head which you can achieve with 16ft between the boiler and the f/e tank, but check with viessman.

The appliance is designed for use with sealed primary water systems (only) and incorporates a
circulation pump, diverter valve assembly, pressure gauge, flow switch, DHW plate heat exchanger,
safety valve and CH expansion vessel. A separate DHW expansion vessel is not required.

Sponsored Links
Hello again
Thanks for your replies, Just wondering if you could give me a little advice?
Would it be worth it to convert my system to a unvented system or would it be better for me to just get cut my losses and sell my new boiler and get one that would work in my vented system?
Thanks for your time
Dan.

Hello again
Thanks for your replies, Just wondering if you could give me a little advice?
Would it be worth it to convert my system to a unvented system or would it be better for me to just get cut my losses and sell my new boiler and get one that would work in my vented system?
Thanks for your time
Dan.

Convert to sealed system would be my advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back