Can anyone identify this device?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone can identify what the device is in the bottom left hand side of attached image? - I recognize the cobwebs mind you!

my.php

We have roof heating installed since the 1970s, which was made by Flexel. Could this be a transformer for the heating?

Thanks,
Bothy

Sponsored Links
no i can't identify it

btw you need to put the url of the image itself in the img tags not the url of a page

yes its a white box with a red x in it

(seriously, its a contactor, a way for a small voltage / current to switch a much bigger current, but keeping the two electrcially isolated)

Yep
The thing on the left is a contactor

the stuff on the right are 8 fuseholders that take screw in fuses- i have seen them on foreign (european) old equipment.

It all looks a bit heath robinson, mounted on wood with no barrier between fuses / connections and wood (very flame retardant !!!) and not enclosed.

Sponsored Links
its a contactor, a way for a small voltage / current to switch a much bigger current, but keeping the two electrcially isolated

So it's like a relay then? This would kind of make sense in relation to the roof heating. The heating consists of conductive sheets laminated between clear plastic in the attic. Each room in the house has it's own thermostat mounted on the walls.

The reason i'm asking is that I have booked an electrician to upgrade the fuseboard to a modern CU. We no longer use the roof heating and I am going to ask him to disconnect it if possible.

Thanks for the reply! & sorry about the image.

Don't you just love all those single-insulated neutrals touching (it appears) one of the bus-bars, and SI lives touching (it appears) the neutral bar....

plugwash said:
no i can't identify it

btw you need to put the url of the image itself in the img tags not the url of a page
Bothyhead - you aren't using your image hosting site properly.

You put

[ img ] h t t p:/ /img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fuseboard8sv.jpg[ /img ]

in your post, but that URL is not that of an image file, it's the URL of a PHP script with an argument of the image filename to display. So it works fine when you give it to a browser, but not when you enclose it in BBCode [ img ] [ /img ] tags.

Please read the instructions provided by imageshack on how to do direct linking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back