Can holes be made in anything?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I recently bought a wall unit and on delivery discovered that the shelf under where the tv goes, has a solid back (plywood I think, it's not an expensive unit) but I wanted to put the DVD player underneath. Now there's no where for the cables to go to do that - is it possible for a carpenter to create a neat gap big enough for the plugs to fit through? Unit is about 7 foot long and tv sits in the middle...

Sponsored Links
hole saw

p1653820_l.jpg

drill

p4764284_l.jpg

DIY

If you take the plug off the cable you will need a smaller hole

A cheaphole saw from poundland would likely do that.

Just expect to throw the hole saw away afterwards :D

keep the hole middle, cut the bottom 10mm off it and re-fix it in place at the top with some tape and you've got a flap that you can pass a plug through but won't be as visible as a 50mm gaping hole..

Sponsored Links
keep the hole middle, cut the bottom 10mm off it and re-fix it in place at the top with some tape and you've got a flap that you can pass a plug through but won't be as visible as a 50mm gaping hole..

can a plug fit through a 50mm dia hole... i doubt it.

just about but it's tight and depends on the plug design..

my holesaw is 54mm anyway.. :oops:

Thanks very much guys - will talk to a carpenter and expect a good job! Plugs are two prong (Small, spanish) design but wouldn't know how to take them off! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back