Can I build internal leaf of cavity entirely of blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm building an extension and was wondering, can I build the internal leaf entirely of blocks. 7n below ground up to dpc and 3.5n above. Also do I need two course of blues on the inner leaf? I was thinking 9 course of blues outside (ground slopes away a tad and nearly all are visible) and two course of block internal with 3 course of blues if needed? Also are class b second blues ok to use? I'm using a rustic looking brick so chips won't matter as long as their water resistant is up to scratch. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It's normal practice to build the internal leaf from blocks - entirely from blocks! The blocks needn't be 7N for single storey. 3.6N is fine. No brick courses needed on internal leaf unless it is convenient for coursing, and then you'd use concrete bricks not eng bricks. Use as many eng brick courses on external leaf as needed for practicality and aesthetics.

Sponsored Links
We are having to put a row of insulated blocks in, I think it's just above or below dpc level. Not sure whether the ones above matter significantly, but I think the insulated ones are more expensive hence the single row!

Yes I checked and as noseall says above DPC is all the same for ours, lightweight block Cemex 850 on both leaves. Below DPC is Cemex 1400 and marmox thermoblock and also at first floor level, presumably to avoid a thermal bridge where it joins to the existing solid walls.
Hope those product numbers useful to the OP.

You can't build a wall entirely out of blocks it will fall down really easily, you'll need some mortar....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back