Can I check viscosity of oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...12 months ago I bought a new motorhome from Brownhills at Newark.
I have only done 3000 miles from new.
I have just had it serviced and despite paying for an engine flush, new oil and a new oil filter the oil is as black as before it was changed.
Over the years I have had any number of cars serviced and the first thing I have done after the service is check the oil and I have never known this before, after the oil change the oil has always been clean.

Is it possible to check the viscosity?

thanks....Mike

Sponsored Links
Is your camper fitted with a diesel engine, if so don't worry about it, diesel oils are a detergent oil and it keeps very fine soot particle in suspension.

Mike,
If you are unsure of the service you have paid for,take it back and tell them your concerns about the state of the oil and that you are considering asking the A.A or R.A.C to conduct a check on your vehicle and the quality of the oil. I think you will know if it has been changed by the response you get. Diesels do send the oil black faster than petrol engines but if you have had an engine flush and only done 3000 miles from new it shouldn't go black that quick.

;)

Thanks for response.....I'm talking as black as it was before oil change after engine was run for only 5 minutes.
Unfortunately not so easy going back, 70 miles away.
I'm going on holiday on Monday, not with MH.

rgds.....Mike

Sponsored Links
Mike,
I think you may have to put it down to experience now, I don't know if you are aware of the following.
Recent changes in the law mean that you no longer have to take your car back to your dealer for servicing to keep your warranty valid. You can now have your car serviced at a wide range of authorized garages.

Enjoy your hol.:cool:

;)

Thanks Jonny....I was vaguely aware of something like this.
I will have to look into it further before next service is due.

rgds....Mike

Mike,I am wondering if,as it had only covered 3000 miles,that your oil filter got the "oily rag" treatment.The biggish diesels hold the fat end of a litre of oil in the filter,this would dirty fresh oil right away.
I used to change the oil on my 1.9 Citroen every 3000,and it never looked black on the dipstick.
My wife's Zafira,with a much more up to date engine,dirties it's oil quite quickly,but nothing like your MH seems to have done.

Back