can i float 18mm t&g on rubber joist strips??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, hope you can help.
I've taken the old boards up in our top floor flat and have levelled the joists with furring strips (there had been subsidence previously which has now been underpinned).
I have now nailed long strips of dense rubber onto the tops of all the joists and was wondering if i can now float my new t&g 18mm solid oak boards on top of these rubber strips. Also can i nail the t&g diagonally together or should i glue? A floor installer told me that the floor will be subject to movement if its not attached directly to the joists and that he wouldn't recommend floating it.
Hope you can help and appreciate the advise.

Sponsored Links
Well you'd expect a floor installer to know his stuff, so take his advice.

Just curious though, why the rubber? If it's for soundproofing purposes then it will help (a little bit) against structural sound transmission, the nails will hurt this somewhat but it looks like you have no choice. There are many other factors to take into account though.

Deluks said:

Just curious though, why the rubber? If it's for soundproofing purposes then it will help (a little bit) against structural sound transmission, the nails will hurt this somewhat but it looks like you have no choice. There are many other factors to take into account though.

Hi, cheers for the reply. Well the rubber was initially for soundproofing - i was intending to float the floor on top of the rubber strips but seeing as thats now not a good idea i guess it'll just help a bit. I mean, does sound really 'home in' on a nail going through to a joist that much?
What other factors should i be considering?
Cheers

donahue said:
Deluks said:

Hi, cheers for the reply. Well the rubber was initially for soundproofing - i was intending to float the floor on top of the rubber strips but seeing as thats now not a good idea i guess it'll just help a bit. I mean, does sound really 'home in' on a nail going through to a joist that much?
What other factors should i be considering?
Cheers

Depends what sort of sound/volume/frequencies you are talking about. If it's just for footfall and general everyday living, it shouldn't be too bad. Loud music however will travel down a nail, especially low frequencies (bass)

Insulation - fluffy type or rockwool slabs (NOT polystyrene or kingspan) in between the joists will help to dampen noise considerably. You also have to take into account the ceiling below, if it's just a single layer of plasterboard with downlights installed then that will be pretty poor at reducing sound. Better go with 2 layers of plasterboard, and add acoustic hoods if using downlights.

You can also install extra plasterboard from upstairs, (in between the joists) if you measure and cut to size. Fiddly, but saves messing up the ceiling below. They must be a tight fit between the joists though, and use acoustic/fire rated sealant to seal all gaps, no matter how small.

Sponsored Links
Hey thanks for the advice Deluks. Very useful. I have done what you suggested and put insulation between the joists and also a double layer of plaster board on the ceiling below.
Cheers again.

donahue said:
Hey thanks for the advice Deluks. Very useful. I have done what you suggested and put insulation between the joists and also a double layer of plaster board on the ceiling below.
Cheers again.

Good stuff, that's better than most houses get.

Just remember to keep the drum 'n' bass at a sensible volume ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back