Can I increase the size of my alcoves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some gorgeous wardrobes for the alcoves in the bedroom and I took the wrong measurements.....
They need to go into the alcoves and I was wondering if it was possible to reduce the size of the chimney breast. I would need to take off 5 inches each side.
The other problem I have with this is that I want a solid fuel fire downstairs in the room beneath (future project)and I'm concerned about going into the chimney cavity area.
I really am a DIY novice so I probably would have to get in an expert to do this but who should I get round first, a builder or a chimney expert?
The bedroom also has a fireplace but this has been closed up, and my understanding is that the downstairs chimney flue curves around this and goes off to one side.
Any help on this matter greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
This would be a major job in my view, not a job for a novice. I think you should contact the Local Authority Building Inspector for advice.

your assumtions are pretty accurate.
a lot of people think that a ground floor chimney flue somehow merges into a first floor flue. the truth is they are independent. the two are separated by whats called the midfellow. both have their own chimney pot. and yes the one will curve around the other creating whats called the throat.
this helps with draw and stops any rain falling directly onto the fire.

to be able to reduce it by 5 inches, as sandwell has said is very dodgy. the flue will most likely have 9 inches of masonry surrounding it. all of that 9 inches is essential for keeping in the gasses, and just as importantly, the heat in the flue. keeping the flue hot is essential for an efficient draw.

Thanks for your advice
It doesn't sound good does it. If the work was carried out, would having the flue lined make a difference to the amount of masonry required around it?
We have high ceilings (about 11 ft) and the wardrobes are only 6ft high so I wouldn't need to reduce the chimney breast from top to bottom, does this make the work any easier do you think.
We live in Liverpool, if anyone can recommend someone to look at the job that would also be appreciated.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
becbec said:
Thanks for your advice
It doesn't sound good does it. If the work was carried out, would having the flue lined make a difference to the amount of masonry required around it?
We have high ceilings (about 11 ft) and the wardrobes are only 6ft high so I wouldn't need to reduce the chimney breast from top to bottom, does this make the work any easier do you think.
We live in Liverpool, if anyone can recommend someone to look at the job that would also be appreciated.
Cheers

mmmmmmmmmmm i think it would be cheaper to get a new one made to the exact design and size by a decent chippie :D ;)

then you have a matching one for someone else:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back