Can I lay quarry tiles on a cold wet screed outdoors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I hope somebody can give me some pointers-
I know its the wrong time of year to be doing this but...
I layed a 1 inch thick screed over solid concrete(sharp sand 5:1 cement mix) outdoors for a path a couple of days ago. After 48 hours the screed has gone hard but is still very damp due to the cold weather (I can't press anything into it and it's okay to walk on but still slightly crumbly if I scratch it with something sharp). I've been covering it up each night to keep the frost off.

1) Is it okay to lay the quarry tiles after 72 hours, even though the screed is still damp?-it won't dry completely until spring
(I will be using Wickes' 2 hour waterproof tile adhesive.)
and..
2) I plan to cover the tiles with dustsheets and plastic to keep the frost off after I lay them. How long should I keep it covered after I finish?

Thanks in advance for any answers you may have.
Mike.

Sponsored Links
m00n - is there a reason why you didn't lay the quarries in sand/cement directly onto the concrete - why the screed? How long had the original concrete been down - old stuff ... did you scarify it's surface?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.,
I didn't lay straight on top of the existing concrete cos it wan't flat. Ended up laying tiles using sand 3:1 cement mix while the screed was still damp but had gone hard as I guessed the materials would be a closer match(for expansion and porosity etc.) than if I used the adhesive.
So far so good.
Mike.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back