Can I or can I not test Voltage with it?

I use a German probe tester which is functionally similar to that Martindale, however, it does not have fused probes. Is this a matter of concern? I generally use it on my own 230v domestic (though I might one day have occasion to use it in a building with 3ph 400v). I have no current expectation of doing anything more than fitting replacement or additional sockets, switches, light fittings etc. I have analogue and digital meters should I ever need to use them again.

Sponsored Links
John, you might like to read up on GS38 which gives a standard for leads used for testing. The exposed tip should not be more than 4mm. there should be finger guards to prevent you from slipping down the probe and contacting the live part, and the leads are required to be fused.

Thanks, done that. Mine has the finger guards but the tips are 10mm fixed, and there is no sign of a fuse, so it wouldn't comply (it is a Steinel Mastercheck). A useful little thing, though, with range of LEDs incl ac/dc. I can envisage a fuse would limit current draw if I had dropped it in a bucket of water or there was some other major internal fault, is the fuse for some other purpose I hadn't thought of? I really like it because it is so much handier than a meter, and there is no chance of mis-setting or leads being loose.

I think we all some some test gear that's not quite up to scratch, but never the less very good. We hide ours when it comes to audit time ;)

Sponsored Links
If the leads are detatchable, why not buy a new set thet meet the current regs.
I have a couple of old Flukes (8022B & 8021B) and replaced the leads with the fused variety so they now conform to current standards. They also regularly pass the monthly check against my calibration unit.

Qedelec said:
John, you might like to read up on GS38 which gives a standard for leads used for testing. The exposed tip should not be more than 4mm. there should be finger guards to prevent you from slipping down the probe and contacting the live part, and the leads are required to be fused.
does GS38 actually have any legal force and if it does why are there so many multimeters on the market that have ranges up to 600 or 1000 volts but don't come with such leads.

Like most guidance, it is not enforceable, but can be used used to indicate that the claimant was not take adequate care.

Where I work, everyone was supposed to have an old black square D voltage tester, basically a coil which would jolt a sprung loaded part inside the meter and show a voltage, within a plactic case with two probes.. The idea being that it was mechanical, and also that a tester could have it in their pocket and would feel the jolt (not literally!) if any voltage was present.

I personally always use my Fluke multimeter, yes it's supposed to have fused probes with tiny tips, but when you work in panels, etc like I do, sometimes you can't get on any terminals with the shrouded probes, and likewise the fused ones can make poor contact if not fastended properly, or give unusual resistance results, so I always use un-fused probes with tips of about 8mm. I do find them a bit long, but as I say my orginal ones had about 1-2mm showing and you can;t test everything with them.

If I'm really unsure, or want to be sure then I'll normally touch a wire down to ground or arc them with a screwdriver just to be sure they are dead - my meter hasn;t lied yet anyway!!

What does the company that you work for say, are they happy (given in writing) that you are using a fluke dvm or have they trained and instructed you to use the square d testers?

Me? Neither, the square D thing is something that boys of old have told me that they were always told to use.

The install sparkies have specific stuff that they are told to use which is calibrated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back