Can I run Cat5 cable in guttering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I an having CCTV installed, but I am running the cables myself to save on costs.

I have external grade black solid copper core cable and want to know if I could run the cable around the house in the guttering. Obviously at times when it is raining the cable will be under water, but there would be no joins within the guttering.

I could use trunking on the sofit under the guttering but this will be more obvious to identify where the cable are run as we are in a bungalow.

I would appreciate thoughts....

Sponsored Links
Why can't you run it in the loft?

I don't think you would have any issues, but it's a real bodge. A proper Sky TV install!

I don't know if even external cable is suitable for actual immersion in water.

If your cameras are sited correctly Chummy won't be able to get to them or the cables without getting himself on camera and recorded first.

If cutting is a serious risk use a spare pair in the camera cable, put an end of line resistor in the camera, and connect the pair to your intruder alarm. Any open or short circuit on the cable should then activate the alarm.

You'd need duct grade CAT5 in the gutter. It has an extre polyethylene sheath (outer insulation). It's more expensive, really stiff and hard to use. IMO, the loft is the best solution.

Personally, I'd rather have the professionals install the cables and I'd screw the cameras to the wall!! :D

Sponsored Links
Sorry, probably not clear.

The cameras will be wall mounted and the cable from each cam will enter the loft void. However as we have two rooms in the roof, we do not have access to the entire loft and part of the run has to be external along the sofit (or in the gutter) to get from the front of the bungalow to the rear.

Depending what your roof tiles are it may be possible ti slide one of the second row of tiles up and use fibreglass cable fish rods to feed the cable to an accessible area of the loft.
If you have damaged the felt, make good and slide roof tile back into place.

You could always run it in the gutter and, when it breaks down in a few years time, replace it with another bit. As you get 1000' in a box, you're bound to have quite a lot left over! ;)

I'd be more worried about the sunlight turning the insulation into chalk dust than water getting in... :idea: I wonder if you could just paint this section with black paint.

You can buy duct grade cable in short lengths http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAT5e-Cab...ade-for-IP-Cameras-UnTerminated-/221457618366

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back