Can i run more radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is rated at 24KW heating output and says its suited for small to medium homes.

However im planning an extension and garage conversion which ideally would require probably 3 double radiators.

If i calculate how many KW's all my current radiators are combined, can i basically add more radiators aslong as the total radiator usage doesent exceed 24KW?

All it says only is the boiler is suited for 10-15 radiators, surely it depends on size of radiators aswell?

Most radiators in my house are small single radiators, only have 2 doubles and they aint that big given the size of the room.

Sponsored Links
Should be plenty okay - you have nothing to lose, if the boiler can’t cope, you can change it then. Do you have all of your rads set to maximum output at the same time? We dont.

To give you a gauge - a typical 600x1000mm Type22/K2 would be approx 1750 watt output. So you would need approx 13 rads of that size to get close to the limit of that boiler.

Sponsored Links
To give you a gauge - a typical 600x1000mm Type22/K2 would be approx 1750 watt output. So you would need approx 13 rads of that size to get close to the limit of that boiler.
I have 11 rads but most are smaller than that size, so even though it says 15 rads limit aslong as the KW usage is less than 24KW itll be fine still?

I have 11 rads but most are smaller than that size, so even though it says 15 rads limit aslong as the KW usage is less than 24KW itll be fine still?
Yes, you don't want to run it right up to the limit though, leave a couple of Kw headroom (~10%) to maximise heatup efficiency and accommodate the heat loss through the system, pipework etc.

Doing s calc just on the raditors doesn't mean that much, they may be over sized anyway, also could be under sized, what you nee is to do a heat calc on your rooms to see what actual sized boiler you need in theory. Otherwise just out new radiators in and see how it pans out, when its zero degrees your house may feel warm, when its minus 10 degrees your house may feel cold, it ain't an exact science

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back