Can I sell my heating oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is an attempt to help my sister who is a financially struggling college student recoup a large expense this year.

There was a problem with one of the appliances and the large tank in the basement needed to be refilled. Shortly after they filled it with heating oil the landlord decided to put in a new heating system altogether. This system does not use heating oil. So, now the tank is full and sitting there useless and it seems to me like there should be some way to sell the heating oil. I understand that there are strict regulations on the handling and transport of this kind of material, but that doesn't mean it is impossible.

Any suggestions on how or to whom she might be able to sell the fuel to? ...or at least why she can not.

Sponsored Links
Try the landlord, to see if he wants to buy her silence. Is storing large quantities of heating fuel in the basement of a rented property legal ?

If your sister paid for the oil, then she could contact the company she bought it from and find out what kind of price they will pay for it.

Sponsored Links
If she bought it it's hers to do with as she wants get some 25 litre drums you can sell it you'll probably get about 50pence per litre which is a good cheap price as it's fetching 65pence to buy from oil suppliers

If she has a diesel car she may be able to mix a small proportion of the oil into the gas tank.

There are a few about, but I was just using it as an excuse to have a pop at their ridiculously cheap gas. ;) (compared to ours anyway)

Although I suppose it will increase though. That article was dated last month and says that BMW will be introducing the 3 and 5 series in diesel sometime this year.

I spend a fair bit of time in the US and I don't know anyone with a diesel, or have ever had a diesel rental. I even had a 6.8 litre V10 petrol truck last autumn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back