Can I upgrade my shower without worrying about the wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a 7.5kw Mira Sport shower which as of about 30 minutes ago became an ex shower. I have been looking to replace it for a while but 7.5kw showers are not that common and I would prefer a 8.5kw one anyway. I have been told that I may need to change the wiring if I upgrade to an 8.5kw which I'd rather not do. The current (ex) shower is covered by a 30amp fuse and the house is about 10 years old.

Can anyone give me some advice please.

Sponsored Links
What size is the cable? What size is the switch? Have you an RCD?

What size is the main switch on the CU feeding the shower?

If you have 4mm² cable, it will need changing. If you have a 30A switch it will need changing. If you don't have an RCD, your (new) shower manufacturer will most probably recommend one. Your 30A fuse will need replacing with a 40A device. If your board does not have a 100A main switch, then you cannot run any circuits higher than 32A on the board.

Then there are other considerations: is your main fuse, tails and meter rated to 100A?

Have you got MEB's in place? Is your equipotential bonding up to scratch within the bathroom?

An 8.5kw shower draws 37 amps. yes, you will need to upgrade certain things. That 7.5 shower will have been fitted with 4 or 6mm² cable. While 6mm² wil be sufficient for most installations of 8.5kw showers, it is generally recommended that 10mm² is used in all shower circuits due to upgrade requirements in future. ;) and then you could have a 10.5kw shower - this, you WILL NOT regret. ;)

Sponsored Links
Could you good people say how you recognise the cable size - I also need to replace an electric shower. My cable is 14mm accross including the sheath with 7 x 1mm wires in each conductor. Is this a 6mm² ?

Perhaps you could say how big the 4 & 10mm² cables are on the outside?

(Yes I have a 40 amp breaker & RCD and new consumer unit).

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back