Can no longer have an 80amp supply?!

Couple of things I need to clear up here I think!

- It is the DNO/Supplier who have said I MUST install 25mm tails from my CU's before they will upgrade the fuse to 100amp. I am not concerned of the tails being under-sized as we will not use 100amp ever! It is purely their dictation of how it must be.

- The supply was upgraded to take a 'more than 60amp' fuse. They re-terminated the incoming cable into a new cutout, said the existing cable was up to the job.

So I do not feel I am making more out of this than is necessary. I just want them to come around, fit an 80amp fuse and be on their way!!

I suppose the main difference in Jersey is that they care about what you do after the cutout / meter, where as it seems that in England / Wales / Scotland that is not the case?

Sponsored Links
You have more 3 pin sockets in that switchboard cupboard alone than I have in my entire living room! one lucky man with 3 terrifs as well.

Yes it is quite generous! The place has been renovated and wired in stages, so where the fibre internet service now sits was the original CU, which was fed as a sub-board from the newly installed top one. The socket just below that was for when other circuits were switched off to be re-routed / bits removed. The other one is for the internet service from that fibre box. Minimum service speed here is 100Mb / 10Mb :D

They may just refuse to do that as its not per procedure to supply 16mm tails on your side with a 100a fuse and are being strict on that. I know it seems stupid and petty but if they are anything like our lot then they may have got very tight on procedures being correctly followed even though it doesn't really make logical sense :)

Sponsored Links
Why, I wonder, did you extrapolate on the basis of the Method A figures? Mind you, Method C figures give almost the same answer - 131 x 87 / 114 (=99.97)
I originally did 131x16/25. Then I decided to use a pair of current ratings rather than just the size. No reason, really for picking Method A. The first ones in each row, maybe?

You picked a pair which gets even closer to 100A than I did.

And now it seems that the OP has no choice anyway, if the DNO won't put an 80A fuse in.

He appears to have no choice about the fuse, but if he really wants to have fatter meter tails installed, that's presumably a choice he could exercise.

Kind Regards, John

I really <don't> want the hassle of bigger meter tails, but if I want a bigger than 60amp supply, which is 100amp or 100amp, I will be forced to. Despite 80amp being adequate for all my anticipated future needs, and perfectly acceptable on the current 16mm tails!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back