Can not open my 1989 Jaguar Sovereign boot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can not open my 1989 Jaguar Sovereign boot. When I open (either from the driver door or from the boot), the finger lever goes completely loose. Usually there should be a little resistance as you push in with your finger. When I lock, either from the driver's door or the boot itself, it locks normally. I tried to remove the back seat but the boot is completely sealed off. I have thought about drilling but the body of this car is so thick and strong. The local mechanic did not know what to do either After about two hours of trying he gave up. Please help if you can.

Thank you.

simbar

Sponsored Links
Hi it sounds like the rod has dropped off the handle. I know of a way of getting into the boot of the xj models it might help you out.First take off rear number plate.Then remove the n/s grommet.Then get a peice of stiff rod make a 45 degree bend at the bottom about 1/2 inch.then insert it through the grommet hole aim towards the center of the number plate and down towards the lock,push and pull and the boot should open but be patient as it may take a while.jim p.s let me know how you get on.

you won't be able to get into the boot from behind the back seat, the petrol tank is in the way. the suggestion above usually works, can be a bit fiddly though.

Sponsored Links
Back