Can someone help me wire 2 new lights into an existing 2-gang dimmable switch? AKA how does this even work at the moment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Described the situation in the image - I have a 2-gang dimmable switch on the wall that had 2 extra wires added in, when the new lights came installed.
The new lights are now here and installed, but for the life of me I can't figure out this wiring and how the neutral is not even wired into an L1 or L2.

What I would like to get is to have the 2 new lights on the same gang as the Nr 2 on the picture.

Attachments

• PXL_20230124_174845948.jpg
    PXL_20230124_174845948.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20230124_174916449.jpg
    PXL_20230124_174916449.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 84
Sponsored Links
Neutral wires are not switched , only the live .Your question suggests a complete lack of electrical knowledge .
Your lighting ring passes thru the switch , not common but not unusual .
Are you in a block of flats ?

Last edited:
1674587443875.png

It's not; it is going from here TO com otherwise the switches would have no power.

1674587570790.png

Looks more like the loop in and out to me.

If as you say, then there would be no power to the existing switches and lights.

Your question suggests a complete lack of electrical knowledge .
Your lighting ring passes thru the switch
Hmm. Does your electrical experience include lighting circuits provided as rings? I've never seen one.

Oh, Lord, I must have caught something from Winston1!

Sponsored Links
Hmm. Does your electrical experience include lighting circuits provided as rings? I've never seen one.

Oh, Lord, I must have caught something from Winston1!
I meant a light circuit fed off the ring main , my in laws home had this as ceiling were concrete slabs .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back