Can someone help me with a maths question please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone help me with a bit of maths please (this is to do a floor tiling question) My maths is rubbish!

I have a room thats 12 ft 6 inches by 8 ft 6 inches

Tile size is 13inch by 13inch

How many tiles will i need to for this place (not taking in to account any gaps for grout etc?

cheers for any help

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just so you know how the guys did it for you.
Change the feet & inches all to inches, (multiple number of feet by 12 then add the odd inches), do that for length & width, then multiply them together, which will give you the number of square inches. Divide that by the size of your tile in square inches 13 x 13 = 169.
This then gives you a figrue add a bit for wastage.
Hope this may help for future projects, but you can always asked us to check it for you.

I disagree with that (sorry)

on a smallish room with big tiles like these, the total area may mislead you.

better to work out the number of tiles needed for the width of the room, and the number needed for the length (whole numbers only, rounded up to the nearest whole) and multiply the two together.

so:

room thats 12 ft 6 inches by 8 ft 6 inches

Tile size is 13inch by 13inch

12 fit 6 inches is (144+6) = 150 inches

150 divided by 13 is 11.5. so say 12 tiles plus an offcut (13 if you want a small offcut each side)

8 ft 6 inches is (96+6) = 102 inches

102 divided by 13 is 7.8, so say 8 tiles (9 if you want to centralise with a small offcut each side)

so 12 x 8 = 96 tiles plus wastage
or 13 x 9 = 117 tiles plus wastage

if you are lucky you might be able to get two part-tiles out of one, if they do not have a large obvious pattern

12'6'' x 8'6'' = 15300 sq inches / 169 sq inches per tile = ~ 91 tiles

91 x 1.1 = ~ 100.

Guess another packet or two would hurt though for spares and repairs.

the "square inches" model only works ifyou can crumble the left-overs of cut tiles into fragments and use them as mosaic.

If you decide that you are going to use whole tiles as your basic measurement, you have to measure how many whole tiles you need.

12'6'' x 8'6'' = 15300 sq inches / 169 sq inches per tile = ~ 91 tiles

91 x 1.1 = ~ 100.

Guess another packet or two would hurt though for spares and repairs.

when i went to school albeit 30 odd years ago, 12` 6" = 150" divide by 13" = 11.538, in english just over 11 and 1/2 tiles in length

8` 6" = 102" divide by 13 = 7.846, thats just over 7 and a half tiles wide

So seeing as you cant buy HALF tiles you go to the nearest FULL tile, that then means 12 x 8 =96, then add at least 10% of 96 which happens to be 9.6, going to nearest decimal point, your 10 % equals 10 tiles

96 tiles Plus 10 tiles equals 106 tiles

hope this has helped explain it

if you centre your floor both ways ( cross on the floor) start a full tile from the centre lines (running length ways ) you should end up with a space of 9 1/2" at each end, thats allowing for a 4mm grout line on every tile

then working widthways from centre line with a full tile you will end up with gaps at the end measuring 11 !/2"

so you would have nice sized cuts rather than slivvers

and that works out at exactly 96 tiles used, unless obviously their are broken ones in the pks, or you measure and cut wrongly

Shame on you all,doing calcs in old money :!:
Convert it to meters.

12ft 6" = 3.81m x 8ft 6" = 2.59m which gives 9.86sqm + 10% is 10.85sqm round up to 11sqm.

9 tiles per sqm ( 13" = 0.33m) so 99 tiles.

Now I bet the OP's really confused! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back