Can you identify this plug please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently moved house and I have two of those over my fireplace. if I unscrew the brass nut it reveals wires so the three hole are for some kind of plug. I'm 99% sure it's a lighting circuit but I don't know what type of plug this is so I can start using these sockets, anyone seen these before?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1412.JPG

Sponsored Links
Clock connector, for electric clocks that don't exist any more.

Theoretically could be used for lighting or some other very low power item.

Thank you for the quick reply - googled clock connector and there they are. Pretty expensive compared to standard lamp plugs.

If you have two then they probably powered lights rather than clocks.

Perhaps they are wired to a light switch. Do you have one that doesn’t appear to do anything?

Sponsored Links
Hi - almost certainly lights and yes I have three light switches that do 'nothing', some must control the lamp sockets that are dotted around and I presume one controls these.

The only way is to test. if you want to use them, you could change them for 5A sockets like these.
best not to fit regular sockets in case someone plugs an induction hob into it!

Or you could remove the wiring back to the source and plaster over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back