Cannot access USB memory flash drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
For some unknown reason my USB stick (8GB Toshiba) will not let me access the data that has been stored on it. The contents of the flash drive are important to me and I would like to retrieve them.
The problem is; When I insert the stick into a USB port, it pulses as though it is uploading, but stops and I get a message saying it will have to be formatted, or something to that effect.

Anyone any ideas how I can get into it and reclaim my files.

Thanks for all help.

Sponsored Links
Try it in another machine - or every usb port on your own machine.

Flash drives can be temperemental as you've found - I have an 8GB Sandisk that is a pain at times -
it will not work in the front 2 slots of my pc at work, but runs fine if plugged into the rear!!

Same happens at home sometimes - I have a 4 port hub which occasionally throws up the 'do you want to format this disk' option.

No friggin' way!! I want to view the contents Windows, not bloody delete them :rolleyes: stupid computer!!

Hope that is all that is wrong with your stick - try it and see.

Homer

Thanks for your helpful reply, Homer.

Unfortunately, I tried that amongst other things and without success. I had limited success with a program named ZAR8.5 and it brought up a couple of files, but unless you pay for the licence you cannot retrieve them to the PC. Regrettably my financial priorities lay in other areas, so I didn't get the licence. I'm stating that because it shows that the files can be accessed with a 'magic' program.

Thanks again for trying to sort my problem out.

PM

Sponsored Links
Thanks Homer & Topps.
I tried PC Inspector and I didn't retrieve anything. I di dn't see anything on the free site that I recognized. So I will d'load UBUNTU when my connection settles down and doesn't drop during downloading.

Cheers,
PM

Thanks Homer & Opps.
I tried PC Inspector and I didn't retrieve anything. I didn't see anything on the free site that I recognized. So I will d'load UBUNTU when my connection settles down and doesn't drop during downloading.

Cheers,
PM

Try cleaning the connectors of the USB device, squirt PCB cleaner on the connectors, and brush it in with a toothbrush..

Then retry with a direct connection, ie rear connection to a PC, as the front connections are connected by a cable, and there may be losses in signal strength, if connectivity is low.

I know this may be a silly question and all but did you use the same machine to save the files on the USB flash drive?

First the obvious question:

Is it possible that it is MAC formatted and now you want to read it in windows? Don't think this makes a difference normally as my MACBOOK can read my flash drive even if it's formatted originally from my PC, but it could be that simple. I have heard of such things?

If not a MAC issue, it could be a simple as a computers updates. If this is the problem, and if the flash drive was previously readable in the computer, try to remember the last time it was read, and could do a system restore to that date? Just an idea?

Finally, are the saved files from a program that isn't installed on the machine or in a format that the computer doesn't understand? These might seem like silly questions and stating the obvious but sometimes it really is this simple.

Good luck!

does it show up as a drive when you plug it in in "my computer"

if not, if you are using XP go to the control panel, administrative tools, comuter management, Storage, disk management (local)

if W7 just type disk management into the start bar.

if it appears here, change the drive letter, and see what happens.

I cant find it now, but widoze occasionally decides it doesnt like your stick, I did find a registry clean for this, but lost it ATM.

Thanks all for trying to find a cure for my PC ills.

Mickymoody: Apart from the cleaning, I've tried it in different USB slots.

madder: All help to a possible solution isn't silly. The files I want to retrieve were created on the same machines. I only use Windows.

timtheenchanter: The stick shows as; 'Removable Drive G' and flashes continuously. After a minute of trying to 'bootup' I get the "The disc in drive 'G' is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" I click NO and click on the safe removal icon in the system tray and it shuts it down. As I've said in an earlier post, the drive was accessed by a program called ZAR 8.5 but I can't find a freebie with the same qualities.

Thanks to all for taking the time and trouble to help.

PM

Hi pipemajor

Have you tried ubuntu yet?

It might still be the case that the fat tables are screwed.

Use clone software and copy the contents of the drive- then play about with the clone and try to recover the files from the cloned image and not the drive (incase you make a mistake).

Corruption can be caused by power failure or unplugging the drive whilst it was in use

if your broadband is flaky download damned small linux - it is only 50mb

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

However ubuntu will be more user friendly

Hi Opps,
I took your advice and tried to d'load UBUNTU several times, but my connection keeps on breaking, so I give up.
I was going to have another go over the weekend when traffic isn't so heavy. Believe me, I'm pinning my hopes on UBUNTU for the USB stick and my faulty PC.

What is clone software and how does that work?

Thanks again.

PM

Thanks to opps, I downloaded the Hiren's Boot Disk and found a utility that retieved data (3.5GB); Photos and other items, that otherwise would have been lost from a USB memory stick.

My gratitude to him for sharing his skillful knowledge.
PM

Sponsored Links
Back