Can't find drain off valve except above boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drain off the system, but I expected to find a drain off valve on a radiator (the lowest point).

I can see a drain off valve above the boiler, on the return pipe. Is there a good reason why the valve is near the boiler and not on a radiator?

I figured it might be worth fitting something like this to one of the downstairs rads:

Drain-Off-Radiator-Valve_medium.jpg

I'm not sure how to achieve this though (with the system half full of water). Maybe isolate both the valves at the radiator, then carefully drain one end of the radiator into a tub.

Is there something I can buy to attach my hose to the old radiator valve, so I can open the valve and drain the system?

Once the draining is done I could then replace the old valve with the new drain off type.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Drain offs should be fitted at all low points in the system. Drain off at the boiler probably does the boiler, depending on boiler location and system layout, possibly more.

If it doesnt, then one trick is to fit a self cutting washing machine tap to the radiator pipe, use that to drain down. Then replace that section of pipe, and fit your new drain off.

Your drain off might be outside or if you have a garage then check there.

Sponsored Links
Your drain off might be outside or if you have a garage then check there.

I'll have another look (I've not lived there long, so it's possible I've not noticed it) Would there not be a risk of a drain off outside or in the garage freezing?

valves at the radiator, then carefully drain one end of the radiator into a tub.

push a short piece of 15mm tube onto a hose, secure with jubilee clip. On other end of copper, slide 15mm nut and olive and tighten onto valve.

If this type:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87168/Plumbing/Radiator-Valves/Flowflex-Radiator-Valve-15mm

buy spare valve, connect tail to 1/2" F x 15mm:

comressionhttp://www.screwfix.com/p...ssion-Fittings/Flowflex-Female-Coupler-15mm-x

and connect this as above

Thanks, this is really useful and confirmed what I thought. Yes it is that type of valve (the other end is one of those thermostatic valves).

The female coupler looks like what I need to connect up my hose - good shout! Thanks.

I have used a hozelock tap connector before, which screws onto the rad valve, once u have drained the rad as you suggested. Then, just attach your hose with a hozelock female connector and drain to the outside world. Or, not.

I have used a hozelock tap connector before, which screws onto the rad valve, once u have drained the rad as you suggested. Then, just attach your hose with a hozelock female connector and drain to the outside world. Or, not.

This is actually how I did it in the end. Really simple, the hozelock tap connector fits and seals perfectly.

This is actually how I did it in the end. Really simple, the hozelock tap connector fits and seals perfectly.

You're welcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back