Capped Ridge Tiles Not Level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a complete new re-roof and noticed that the clay capped ridge tiles have not been fixed level or true. The water runs towards the mortar joint between the tiles rather than away from it. See attached photo.

Two things bother me: 1. It looks rubbish. 2. The mortar joint will eventually deteriorate with the rainwater running towards it.

Do I have a valid cause for concern, should I ask the roofer to level the ridge?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 613
Sponsored Links
Hard to see.

What is not up to scratch is how the ridge tiles have been bedded - there's way too much bedding mortar. Slips of the main roof plain tile should at least have been inserted.
The mix was too sloppy, and as it dries it will hairline craze and shrink.
Its been amateurishly pointed up.

Why have the tops tile batten(s) been stopped so short of the ridge board? Perhaps they didn't know how to end with double battens, & tops tiles etc. If the top is bad how is the eaves course?

The junction of the ridge tiles and the hip tiles has been codged in - it needs a lead saddle and lead rolls.
Where the ridge tile meets the stack also needs a lead saddle - what you have now will definitely leak sooner rather than later.

If you post pics of the ridge and hip tile junction we will probably see more.

These great dollops of sand and cement will crack and perish over the next few years. From the above (difficult to read) pic it seems that the ridge & hip rafters have been left too proud.

The tile bond is appalling - no way was the roof set out. Plus they've had to drop the top batten(s) at the right hand side simply to catch the nibs.

If the roofers are recalled for remedial work dont allow any work or examination without a roof ladder(s) being used.

Oh dear, not what I wanted to hear. Does this justify having to do the roof all over again? I had not noticed how big the gaps are between the tiles and the vertical mis-alignment. They are rosemary clay tiles.

Hard to see.

Why have the tops tile batten(s) been stopped so short of the ridge board? Perhaps they didn't know how to end with double battens, & tops tiles etc. If the top is bad how is the eaves course?

Sorry I do not understand what you mean.

Sponsored Links
Do it again? Depends on what you can live with and what a house sale surveyor might report.

A bit complicated to explain but any roofer would instantly know what i meant.

The eaves tiles more or less replicate the setting out and fixing of the tops tiles - if they got one wrong then perhaps the other is a bit haywire as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back