capping pipework / bathroom refit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm attempting my first plumbing DIY and have decided to swap my bathroom suite over.

As part of it I am removing a bidet and not replacing it so I will end up with surplas pipework.

Originally I was just going to cut the pipes back to under the bath (where the joint is) and cap them using a pushfit cap. However after attempting this I discovered that there is very little straight section of pipe available to do this. I have done it but have had to use plumbers mait to stop a minor leak due to the pipe being bent. and aren't really happy with this as a permanent solution.

So, my question is... currently there is a soldered T joint, I am assuming the "proper" way of doing it would have been to replace this with an elbow joint (the part of the pipework I want to keep needs a 90% bend). Is it just a case of heaing the joints, separating the pipes, cleaning and then resoldering if I wanted to do this?

Sponsored Links
jireson said:
Is it just a case of heaing the joints, separating the pipes, cleaning and then resoldering if I wanted to do this?

Yes, but make sure there is no water left in the pipe or it won't solder. :(

Plumbers Mait is for porcelain ;)

Actually he's probably not talking about our plumbers mait, the sheds now sell a two pack epoxy putty called by same name, which goes on wet pipes and seals them. Not something we would ever use.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the help.... i think i'll give it a go next weekend... give me a bit of a chance to summon up some courage...

i have one more question, i've got the old bath out but didn't realise just how heavy it was! (steel, enamel)... and i've got a spiral staircase...

has anyone got any tips for getting the old one out and the new one up?

thanks again!

chuck it out of the window !!!1
lift the other one up with help.

i think it would be easier to cut out the t" and put in new bit of pipe.

sweating off joints is not always so easy to get clean enough to get new pipework on speacially if u've not done it before

I think they use a sledgehammer on it and break it up.
:eek:
Safety first with this option with all the protective gear.

jireson said:
thanks for the help.... i think i'll give it a go next weekend... give me a bit of a chance to summon up some courage...

i have one more question, i've got the old bath out but didn't realise just how heavy it was! (steel, enamel)... and i've got a spiral staircase...

has anyone got any tips for getting the old one out and the new one up?

thanks again!

AS Bahco says smash it up or you could try a reclamation dealer - see if they are interseted in buying it or even just taking it away saving you the hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back