Capping unused foul pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone,

We have three soil pipes that run under our house to a manhole at the front (upstairs stack, kitchen 'mini' stack, downstairs WC 'mini' stack) all of which following a CCTV survey are showing signs of cracking and so at some point would be relined. All the stacks are actually at the rear of the property where there is a main foul manhole in close proximity. So rather than relining, our plan is to create a new stack at the rear and make a new connection to the rear manhole and generally just consolidate everything into one connection. We're currently going through the application process with the local drainage body to do this.

My question is, what is the proper process for capping off and decommissioning the existing pipes? The ground floor screed is in the process of being ripped up to be replaced due to other works so we can cap off below that before going over it. Should the existing pipes be filled with concrete? Vented? Just plastic caps before screed?

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If they’re still connected to the main sewer then they don’t need to be vented. I would just use a plastic cap and screed.

If they’re still connected to the main sewer then they don’t need to be vented. I would just use a plastic cap and screed.
Thanks. They'll probably be disconnected from the main sewer so I'm not sure if that would make any difference?

I think if it's being disconnected at both ends it may be better to cap off both ends to prevent vermin nesting in the empty pipework.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back