Car Insurance

I don't understand this no-claims business. I have always protected mine after hearing how much premiums can rise after a claim, but I have also heard of people who have had an increase after a claim even though they were protected. Why is that?

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
I've never made a claim ever (over 30 years driving) . I should pay £5.99 or something like that.

You're not that bloke from the ad are you, 30 years, 30 years I've been driving !! Unfortunately once you get over 60 (I'm not suggesting you are over 60) insurance premiums should go up, as your probability of having an accident starts to rise around this age. Sorry to say that statistically speaking old folk are carp drivers.

hermes said:
I don't understand this no-claims business. I have always protected mine after hearing how much premiums can rise after a claim, but I have also heard of people who have had an increase after a claim even though they were protected. Why is that?

Because, Hermes, the insurance companies, in the main, are a devious bunch of f*****s. If you find yourself in a non-fault accident you will reasonably expect that there will be no impact upon your no-claims bonus. When you receive you next renewal notification it should be stated clearly that your ncb remains intact. Fine. The problem is you will probably think that the new premium remains unaffected as you have made no claim. What the insurers will neglect to point out is that because you have been involved (even in a non-fault) accident there will be an attempt to raise your premium regardless. So what you might see as a slightly higher premium and probably attribute to inflation or whatever, is actually some level of penalty imposed simply for being part of a motoring accident for which you have no blame. :confused:

Don’t believe it? Then try this. Access one of the many on-line motor insurers. Make up a name and address (with authentic post code), a particular model of vehicle, and specify a totally clean driving history. Note the price of the premium. Then do the same with a new name, different address but keeping same postcode and vehicle as previous. This time specify that you have been involved in an accident but your previous insurers have unequivocally registered this as a non-fault incident and that your ncb is absolutely intact. Note the price of the premium. Subtract the first price from the second price and prepare to become immensely p*ssed off. Then make a new post conveying this anger to the rest of the forum. :evil:

Sponsored Links
poshman said:
following the recent adverse publicity for norwich union i couldnt find a cheaper like for like quote
Neither could I. 20% off when you buy online. Their claims department is very friendly too. Reassuring when someone's just totalled your car. :rolleyes:

When I get my renewal, i'm going to NUD's website and getting a quote. Cos then i'll get 20% off :LOL:

Back