Car key replacement case

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 307 Peugeot car and the car key 2 button blip had become damaged so I ordered a case replacement on ebay. I took the older casing off and replaced with new casing and found that the locking/unlocking worked OK. When I tried the key to start the car it would turn the starter motor over but would not fire the engine. After trying to understand why it would not fire the engine I then replaced half of the casing which had the Peugeot Lion on with the new 2 button casing and everything then worked ok, but I cannot understand why?

Sponsored Links
That part of the key contains the transponder chip - that the car computer system recognises and allows the car to start. Its a passive component, needs no battery or maintenance.
John :)

I'm sorry but no the chip/pcb battery etc were in both tests,the only difference was the outside case had a metal Lion on it. As I say I cannot believe what has happened.
Thanks for the reply

Aha that'll teach me to read the post correctly :oops:
Maybe the metal bits of the fob are acting like some sort of antenna?
John :)

Sponsored Links
You are quite right about the transponder I have found this:

"Second, there is a coded electronic tranpsonder chip; This is usually embedded into the plastic part of your car key. Many drivers wrongly think that their car key doesn't have this feature just because there are no buttons or remote central locking on their car key. But this is a mistake, virtually all modern car keys have transponder chips inside."

There must be a transponder chip embedded as it says above in the "old" plastic part .

Many thanks
Dugit

and a lot of peeps lose it when they replace the batteries.
and if you only have the 1 key then your in deep do do.
as the stealers normally charge a bloody fortune to recode to the immobilizer system.

Take the original key case to a good locksmith that does car keys and they can decode the original transponder and program the new one.

If you only have the one key then this is a good idea as they can also tell you what the code is for future use. Otherwise if original transponder fails it will be a case of more money to recover the code.

Or, just tape the old part to the new key or to the steering column.

Or, just tape the old part to the new key or to the steering column.

er just dont tell the insurance company about it. :rolleyes:

alanE

beaware that a lot will just clone the key.so you may end up having 2 working keys,but you still will not be able to reprogram them yourself.

Sponsored Links
Back