Car Shuddering between 60mph & 70mph

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2008 1.9 Volkswagen Golf Estate. Recently the car has started shuddering when doing speeds between 60 and 70mph. Anything above or below this speed range and the car doesnt shudder.

I have had the wheels both balanced and aligned and it hasnt made any difference. Has anybody any idea what it could be?

Sponsored Links
By shudder, do you mean the steering wheel tends to buck slightly in your hands?
If so, its a typical wheel balancing problem as you suspect, but look for bulges in the tyre walls and other damage. Try swapping the wheels front to rear without changing sides.
I don't suppose one of the wheels is filled with anti puncture mousse, is it?
If the wheels are alloy, buckled rims are a matter of course over here but a skilled tyre fitter can balance even those out.
John :)

By shuddering I mean the car is shaking like the car is in a high gear at a low speed but slightly more exagerated. I had the car wheels aligned and balanced today it made no difference.

I'm still a little confused concerning your description of the shudder, but as a matter of course I'd be checking out wheel bearings, drive shafts, shock absorbers, track rod ends and road springs - just to iron them out of the equation.
Is there any difference if you brake the car when the shuddering occurs?
Does the car tend to tug in one direction when you brake?
If it is a balancing issue after all - say the car starts shuddering at 60 mph,
a vibration harmonic will also be evident at 30 mph.
John :)

Sponsored Links
By shuddering I mean the car is shaking like the car is in a high gear at a low speed but slightly more exagerated. I had the car wheels aligned and balanced today it made no difference.

I had a similar problem with my car last year, turned out to be my brake disc was rubbing off my caliper a tiny bit every time the wheels turned (was quite apparant by that brake disc being extremely hot compared to the other 3) think it was slightly buckled. might be an idea to check that next time your driving at speed.

Back