car stand in sloping front garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just bought a house in caterham on the hill from the road to my front door there is a drop well if i say my bedroom window is eye level with the road what i want to do is have a dropped kerb then a build a stand for my car the depth at the path is 6foot going 20 foot toward the house the depth from level is 11 &half feet can anybody help me with any ideas as to how and what footings and materials i can use cheapest but safest way please thankyou

Sponsored Links
Is it just me or does anybody else understand the measurements given here.
I can gleam that you have a decline from pavement level to your house but the measurements you say do not make sense to me at all, for example what is" the depth from level" are we taking sea level ?
"my bedroom window is eye level with the road " do you live in a bungalow or 3 storey house?
A pic paints a thousand words as they say.
Pete

do you mean a 'hardstanding' for the car?

if so, you will need to dig out about 150-200mm of material. lay 100-150mm of m.o.t. and compact. you can then pave the area as you see fit with tarmac, block paving, slabs etc.

to drop a kerb requires a highways permit, if the road in question is not a 'private' road and belongs to 'highways authority'. it is best to get a local authority approved contractor to do this as red tape and bureaucracy will prevent you doing it yourself.

unless you can sneak it in at night.:cool:

its atwo storey house as stated bedwindow level with path it must be you because the level is obviosly the level of the car stand it must seem pretty obvious i am not an experienced builder [like yourself] offering me away to explain things would have helped anyway thankyou for your input

Sponsored Links
to fluffster i am assuming you can draw a straight line would you draw this as i explain dont worry i dont live by the sea from the left hand side of the paper draw an inch h line come down v 1inch from the bottom of that line draw a line at 40 degree angle make this line5inches long at the end of that line is my front door draw a v line from this point upwards to the same level as the path now from the first h line draw out say 2inches from the end of that line go down v that measures 11foot 6inches has this helped you in your quest to understand what i am trying to ask thankyou

just in case v=vertical
h=horzontal

to freddymercurytwin what has punctuation to do with building ? or do you think i should put a full stop at the end of each course i lay ?

unfortunately you can only communicate with us via typed words, either with or without grammatically correct punctuation. it does help somewhat if it is with punctuation though.

like the retort above. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back