Care Tech 1000 house alarm battery replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Care Tech 1000 house alarm. I am getting an intermittent beep and F4 on the panel, indicating a battery problem. The beep happens every few days, then sometimes every 10 or 15 mins for an hour or two, then is ok for a few days. Can anyone tell me where the battery is? I have opened the keypad panel, no obvious battery there. I have also opened the main box, and there is a large block on the left, with one cable terminal. This is approx. 4cm x 4cm x 8cm tall. Is this the battery? I saw a post saying that Maplin do batteries for this model. What battery model do I need? The fuses seem intact. If this is not the battery, where is it?

Many thanks.

Andy

Sponsored Links
i assume you have a 1600 panel with a plain white box about A5 size four screws on front or two at top ? the battery should be in bottom or to the right depending on what panel you have it will be either a 2.1 ah or a 2.8 ah battery either maplins or srewfix depending on your location, it should say on the battery the size in ah.

if you have the smaller cased panel then the extra box probably does house the battery.
It will either be a 2.8ah or 7 ah.
It should be obvious what and where the battery is and it will not be in the keypad unless it is the onboard keypad version.
Got pictures of it all open?

Sponsored Links
I know , why it was mentioned the 2.8 ah. Also requested pictures as the person seems a bit lost.

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Yes, it is a 1600 model. I have pics and am trying to upload by keep getting a 'bed request' error from the server. Will keep trying.

The key pad is white plastic around A6 with a old-style black digital display with red numerals/letters. The main box is just slightly bigger than A5, with 4 screws on the face, with diagonal 'Castle Security' across the left side of the face. Inside the main box is a green circuit board with all connection terminals down left, to the left of which is a black and grey block (the battery?) with one or maybe 2 connections (I can see one at the bottom right, and there may be another connection further back. Someone, possibly engineer, has dated it 4/12/96

Thats the battery.
Last changed on or checked on 4/12/96.

Considering they should be changed every 5 years that is your problem.
Pick it up gently and look for a AH size on it, it will be either 2.8 or 7AH.

Should I cut the power to the alarm box via the main circuit breaker when removing the battery or just lift it out and pull the connectors off carefully, leaving the rest of the system live?

Will the system lose its settings if both battery and power are off at the same time?

Is there a correct sequence for reinstalling?

Thanks for all your help so far - nearly there.

Best regards,

Andy

Ideally remove mains, the externals will run for a while. Remove battery and replace with new. Put in code. Close lid and turn back on mains.
Enter code again.
All should be fine.

As I said SEE what size you need, buy it and then do the above. It contains a NVM and should retain all programming.

Thanks for your help - I'm not too far from a Maplins, so will check out the battery details tonight and pick one up tomorrow.

Great forum!

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back