career advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Fellas

I hope this is ok to post here, it is pluming related....

I really really need a career change and was thinking about going into plumbing. For the past 4 years iv been sat behind a computer and i cant do it any more, its so boring its driving me crazy. A while back for about 3 years i worked on/off with a kitchen fitter and i used to love it [well it was enjoyable] i dont know why i stopped.

Anyway, im now 30 years old and have electrical engineering qualifications [if it matters], what would be the best course of action for me? should i enroll on a course and get a job as a mate? any advice would be really helpful. cheers.

Sponsored Links
best advice would be to learn to use the search facility of the forums, this question has been asked before (just a few times)

also give in no less than a thousand words why you want to be a plumber, "because I think there is loads of money to be made, becuse that is my perceptipn of plumbing" is not good enough

There's always work for people who can put bathrooms in well. Mostly common sense work. Read a college plumbing book and do a few for friends. You don't need qualifications for that (other than electrical) so see how you go.

Sponsored Links
DONT DO IT

Colleges are oversubscribed, profitablityt is falling and we are under going the most radical changes to the building regs for 50 years

Chris is right about bathrooms but do you really have enough friends to make a living, as for qualifications its only a metter of time before plumbers will be registered

Plumbing sucks at the moment, long hours poor reward.

Why not segway fro electronics into electrics, since part P came out sparks are leaving in thier droves

Sparks are the new Plumbers

Yep agreed, this bandwagon has long since rolled through, experienced tradesmen are knocking it on the head due to east european cheap (good) labour, exhaustive and bullshoot regs and floods of trainees and diy'ers having a go. Try and search out the next big thing...unless you're really dead set and don't mind competing with all this rubbish.

Thanks for the advice all

Apologies for not using the search i will go back and check over past posts....

Breezer i think i would like to become a plumber because it interests me, i have done work as a spark on a few rewires and done a few domestic security installs as well as the kitchen fitting experience. Basically the jobs i enjoy are all trades and plumbing is something i would like to do -- its a change and a challenge for me.. Its not a money thing, im sure i will be taking a salary cut in order to do this but hey... if im not making thousand but enjoying it then thats ok... maybe i will hate it :) have to see.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back