Carpet Cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we moved in the previous owner had put down cheap carpet with no underlay and so spray glue has been used to fix the carpet!

One of the cats got really scared by the move and decided to pee on the carpet for a while and so its a bit smelly! Homebase have got Rug Doctors that you can hire quite cheeply and so thinking of giving the carpet a good clean.

The question is will this cause problems with the glue and if so when the the carpet dries out will the glue re-stick? I did think about avoiding the edges but then it might look a bit strange!

Sponsored Links
Our cats did the same thing in the upstairs bedroom when we moved.

The carpet up there was just foam backed and had been glued down.

We bought our own Vax Rapide for about £140 from Comet.

We cleaned the carpet using that, but you will probably find that if the carpet is cheap like ours was that the cat pee has soaked through into the floor boards below.

Best bet here is to clean the carpet with the cleaner, and when that is dry, fold it back to allow air to the floor boards.

In terms of it destroying the glue, then yes, it will. However, you can buy double sided carpet tape to stick it back down. So far our cats haven't been able to lift the carpet up een when they have been clawing at it!

Good luck.

Is it foam backed or hessian ?
If its foam then the pee and glue would cause the carpet to rip when pulled up.
I wouldnt go and spend £140 in the local shed, just gran the yellow pages and get a carpet cleaning company out, one carpet probably cost between £20 and £40 and it should be dry when thry leave.
Mine certainly were after i had cleaned them

Sponsored Links
We use a Bex Bissell Carpet Washer,
cost £79, and it does an excellent job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back