Carpet join on bullnose stair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having spent 4 years fixing most of the house, we've had fairly expensive carpet fitted up the stairs.

The fitter 'upholstered' the bullnose part of the bottom step by pinning the top of the vertical over the horizontal on the nose. This has left a clear join which I think looks terrible. The boss is really upset so I'm under pressure to have things finished in an acceptable (to her) fashion.

The fitter insists this is the correct way to fit the carpet on a bullnose step, and his manager agrees. I agreed to wait to see if the pin marks and join 'calm down' over a few weeks. They have however said they'll do it the 'wrong' (fitted in two pieces, not upholstered) way if I remain unhappy.

I like the company and the fitter, so don't really want to get in a "you didn't do it how I wanted it so buy me a new piece of carpet" type discussion.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how else the carpet could be fitted on this step to make it look less ugly, bearing in mind none of the offcuts are big enough to fit.

Alternatively a method of making the upward facing overlap more bearable would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Because of the shape of a bullnose step, carpets are normally fitted using a cap and band method. This is where the tread of the step is fitted stretching the carpet over the lip and the riser (vertical bit) is done using a separate piece. I do not know of any way to fit a bullnose step neatly with a single piece of carpet.
If done properly the join should be tucked up tightly under the lip of the step so it should be nearly invisible, and the pins will be hard to spot unless you are lying on the floor.

Thanks for your reply Edbosworth.

Cap and band is how the previous carpet was fitted. Both the fitter and his manager insist this is the wrong way to fit the carpet. Three weeks later their method still shows pinmarks and the ugliest joint I've ever seen on a carpet.

I much preferred cap and band to the mess they've made of it so i'll hold out for the new one to be refitted that way. This will make the lady of the house happier and take the pressure off the late jobs I've overrun on!

I know cap and band can't be done with any of the pieces I have as they are all too small to make the 'cap' so it might need another piece of carpet (only about 300mm length off of a roll would be enough!

What's the likelyhood a new piece of the same 'colour' will be a close enough match bearing in mind it is stairs and the carpet is yellow (colour is a bit like wet sand)?

Is it reasonable to have the supplier pick up the bill? (they payed the fitter) as the previous carpet was still present when their estimater called round, and he didn't tell us the carpet would be fitted any other way.

bullnoses can be done in any of three ways, with none being right or wrong. the only right way is the customers prefrence. cap and band is one correct way of fitting a bullnose so is the method that your fitters used and depending on the carpet you can sew the 'scar'. different carpets with different piles look better in different options.
if you chose to have the bullnose replaced and done to your taste it is unlikely that the same batch of carpet would be used and even if it were you would be amazed at how much the colour can change in a couple of weeks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks jlflooring for your thoughts.

You suggest that any replacement piece is likely to differ from the original. This leaves few options. Either I need to put up with what I have, they need to rework the scar, or they replace the entire area.

The carpet is a 60oz Town and Country (Cormar) 80% wool secondary. It cost nearly £350 for the stairs/ landing, so I really don't want to put up with an ugly join.

Would this kind of carpet be a suitable candidate for sewing?

Are there any other possibilities which might make the scar and pinholes less noticable?

Failing their resolving the scar issue, how unreasonable would it be having the entire carpet replaced and fitted how I prefer it? No one asked us which method of fitting we would prefer, and we were in all the time when the fitters were working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back