carport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gents i am intending to build a wooden carport next year so am just looking to pick your brains. The house is a traditional semi detatched the carport will be 6m in lenght x2.2 wide. Timber down the lenght of the house 4x4 posts sunk in the ground the opposite side rafters down the middle. My question is this, what is the best way to secure the rafters to either end, how do i secure the timber to the house wall, and finally do i need to put timber in between the rafters. Im no chippie just your average diy joe.

Sponsored Links
With what do you intend covering the carport, i.e. polycarb', corrugated plastic, felt?

Could do all this in 4x2, maybe 6x2 for the timber that runs alongside the 4" posts, if they are rather widely spaced.

Say min 4 of the 4" posts, which will give a min 2m spacing between each. The bolt your 6x2 to this with coachbolts.
Add an extra post in the span and you could use a 4x2 bearer easy.

The timber on the house wall can be fixed by drilling and using hammer in or expanding bolts, or resin fix into a slightly oversized hole.
120mm thrubolts probably the best option here.

4x2 spaced at 600mm centres will sort out the roof. Using truss clips will be the quick and easy way for a DIY'er.

If any of this terminology is alien to you then visit Screwfix website, it's all on there.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back