Cast iron soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

IN MY SECOND YEAR OF NVQ2, with only 1 years site experience.... varied work.

Ive been asked to do a bathroom suite for a friend of a friend. Part of this entails moving the toilet. After looking at the soil pipe i thought the best course of action was to change the cast soil to a plastic one...

Either connecting into the soil with a cast to plastic insert or using one of those rubber collars.

Unfortunately they do not want to pay out to have the stack changed. My initial response was well i would wait until you have the extra cash and then have it done.

MY QUESTION is......... can you carefully remove the length of cast pipe out of the branch from the main stack to the toilet? and then put a new piece of plastic soil into the old branch and pack/seal the gap.

I think removing the old pipe out of the branch may need some filling/ cement removing.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
tell him not to be a short sighted tight wad and get with this century and go with plastic.

i have to say though, the old cast iron would take a few knocks and be less liable to vandalism.

You might find it's been put in with lead poured round it (see your books!). If there's room for a rubber collar or Timesaver coupling(better) I'd do that.
If the pipe wiggles out you can chisel the lead out and there IS a special flanged rubber collar but I can't remember the name...

Sponsored Links
you wouldn`t be able to wiggle out one that I`d caulked with molten lead and a squirell tail to stop it leaking out while melted ;) :LOL: But if some cheapskate used lead wool .......then it might come out :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back