CAT underground cable/pipe locating devices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has tried using a CAT buried cable locator, I see you can rent them from most hire shops, bout 40 quid a day. I'm wanting to run a blue water pipe under a concrete slab and come up under my stairs to fit a stop tap, only thing is, there's a gas meter in there and I'm worried the steel gas pipe might get in my way or worse, I damage it. Digging out exploratory holes in the slab is a problem, its going to be rock hard and I'm told about 4 inch thick ( 1930's ).

Would one of these locators help me out ? obviously, I've never used one before.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The answer is yes this would definetly help you out.
thew kit you will hire should be a CAT and Genny, the genny you will comnnect to the pipe just below the gas meter and this will mean the CAT will get a posotive signal from the underground pipe. they are pretty simple to use and should have full instructions attached...it should only take 1/2 hour to survey once set up ...so a days hire will give you bags of time to read instructions/youtube etc...word of warning...mark clearly at the surface the findings of the survey and even sketch it out.....also still proceed with upmost care (HANDDIG) the lot, whilst the survey equipment is pretty accurate....always assume worst case when digging around live services...

Gas pipes run straight, and that incudes up the drive or path from the street.

Or they come in via the nearest outside wall.

A detector won't be much use other than the novelty.

Gas pipes run straight, and that incudes up the drive or path from the street.

Or they come in via the nearest outside wall.

A detector won't be much use other than the novelty.
The problem is that gas pipes to your meter don't always run at 90 degrees to the pipe in the street. When Cadent were trying to locate the connection between my meter and the gas main in the street they dug three holes before they finally located the connection.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys.
Regarding the CAT locator, will this tool still work if the pipe is running next to the party wall, this is the route i imagined it would run, with the meter being sat next to the wall as in pic, I assumed the pipe would be ran, under the slab ( not in it ! ) and unjointed, straight out to street but this would leave it passing the water meter !! I suppose the easiest trial holes would be by breaking up the concrete path, I was planning on flagging it anyway at some point.

Attachments

• Water lead pic 2.jpg
    Water lead pic 2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 14
The problem is that gas pipes to your meter don't always run at 90 degrees to the pipe in the street. When Cadent were trying to locate the connection between my meter and the gas main in the street they dug three holes before they finally located the connection.
But they do run straight.

Well then that's the plan then. Rent the CAT machine, try get an idea of where it is in the path from front door to boundary line. Break up the concrete across the path ( give me a chance to use the demolition Breaker I got from Toolstation ) and get digging, and hope it doesn't run diagnoally across path and get in my way, have to stay 375mm away or United Utilities won't connect me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back