Cause of wall cracks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
391A4B97-B3DA-4D7C-A7F5-0790970F9F65.jpeg
41BF2800-55F6-4A81-8A2F-A6C291346C13.jpeg
Hi,
Me and my partner are currently house hunting and have just viewed a 3 bed detached post-war house, which we think has great potential.
The only issue is that it has a few alarming cracks in the walls...we noticed some in the dining room which the estate agent said he believes has been extended, and then one large crack just underneath the left side of the bay window in one of the upstairs bedrooms (this bedroom was on the front of the house, and the dining room was on the back).
I’m wondering whether anybody could tell us from the attached pictures why these cracks might be present?
Any help would be much appreciated as we are first time buyers and have no idea about building work!
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think the second one will be because of a timber lintel shrinking or expanding.

BethS89 so you are after a crack house,been in plenty of them :cautious:.

Have you commissioned a suitable survey ?

First image is abnormal movement, second may be shrinkage. Get a survey - not a Homebuyer report.

Sponsored Links
BethS89 so you are after a crack house,been in plenty of them :cautious:.
Have you commissioned a suitable survey ?

Not had a survey done yet. We only viewed the house last night but would definitely get one done if we are thinking of buying, as those cracks really worry us. Just wondered whether anybody could tell from the pictures whether it's something to run away from immediately, or worth pursuing further and getting a survey done.

I think the second one will be because of a timber lintel shrinking or expanding.
First image is abnormal movement, second may be shrinkage. Get a survey - not a Homebuyer report.

Thank you both for your advice! :)

All cracks are repairable, but unless you know what caused them (which determines the repair) then you can't quantify them and wont know what's involved or how much to get knocked off the asking price.

One thing to bear in mind, when you instruct a survey, if a building survey (building surveyor) ,then tell them that there is cracking present and you want whoever does the survey to comment on the cracks - and not just recommend a structural survey. If the firm has no-one who can do this, then find another firm.

If you instruct a structural survey (structural engineer) then they will only comment on the structure and wont look at things such as dampness, or general condition of things and alterations etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back