Cavity closure issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spreading plaster all next week, then self levelling compound going down to level things up before tiling. Levels aren’t too bad but need a little helping hand to merge my old floor and new.

I see a problem. I fitted cavity closers all round the doors. Sides and top are no problem, but the floor closer could be an issue. The doors are pretty much flush with the inside of the outer skin. So all that’s holding the closers up are the thin plastic flanges on each side. If I stood directly on them I’d bust them and my foot would be in the cavity. If I self level over them, then tile on top, I worry if someone stands close to the door the tiles might crack. Basically that 4” edge has very little support.

What’s the fix apart from blocking the cavity up and creating a cold bridge?

Sponsored Links
What’s the fix apart from blocking the cavity up and creating a cold bridge?
You would typically remove the uppermost part of the masonry spanning across the doorway on the inner leaf, lay polythene in the trough and screed right up to the door threshold.

You can fit some 25mm insulation against the external masonry but this could create problems with carpet grippers etc.

Those doors are one big (cold) thermal element in any case.

Spreading plaster all next week, then self levelling compound going down to level things up before tiling
That's a novel use of self-levelling compound. But may I suggest a product called "finish plaster".

Sponsored Links
Luckily for me all my skill levels and experience across all disciplines are equal. May well need to use self levelling compound on the walls after skimming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back