Cavity Insulation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Adding porch to side of house and as no building regs are required needed some advice. The walls will be built from blocks and have a 100mm cavity. Question is what is the best type of insulation, although building regs don't apply, would still like to keep it withing recommended U values.
Looking at some older posts they recommend dritherm slabs but I wanted to know if I could use PIR Insulation like Celotex?
Thanks For any advice

Sponsored Links
You can use PIR but with that type of insulation you need to maintain an air gap 50mm to be safe. Really not a lot in it between the two although arguably if the bricky can't be trusted to keep the wall ties/cavity meticulously clear dritherm could be the route to take.

As its only a porch you may aswell stick 50mm in and have a 50mm cavity.

FMT the porch is going to be an uninhabitable room off the main kitchen seperated by an external door, so on that basis would 100mm be better?
Thanks

I believe 50mm of Celotex will get you a lower U Value but I've not checked tbh, the difference will only be marginal though its a moot point anyway, its only a porch and you're retaining the external door! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Retaining the door which most of the time will be open :evil: in an opening of 7 foot :mrgreen:

If that is the case then do not even consider insulation, just throw a half brick/block skin wall up.
Howver if you do wish to insulate and obtain u value of 0.28W/m2Ktnen use
Rendered 100mm Plasmor Aglite block, strength 7.3N with a k value of 0.32w/mk.
100mm cavity fully filled with Dritherm 34.
100mm block inner skin all as external skin
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back