Cavity wall corner detail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Appreciate the picture is not the best but trying to design the corner detail for where the front elevation of my new extension (blockwork to be rendered) meets the side wall (imperial brick).
The render will go across the front including the "pier" set forward and go about a foot around the side wall finished with a render stop bead.
Basically I'm aiming for a typical 60s house front where the side cavity wall comes proud of the front face by a half brick but all rendered.

This is all new, I am not talking about tying into existing, just how to build the corner.

I am not sure how to tie in the front blockwork with the side imperial brickwork, and also if I've got the whole detail wrong here altogether.
As always any advice v much appreciated!
Cheers
John

Attachments

• IMAG1087.jpg
    IMAG1087.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 163
Sponsored Links
You'll probably need a vertical expansion joint and sheaved ties for movement where the blocks meet the bricks

You'll probably need a vertical expansion joint and sheaved ties for movement where the blocks meet the bricks

If it wasn't an imperial/metric situation then is the following okay (can't get the relevant toothed part on the right hand side of the picture to show on the thumbnail so you'll need to click on it)

Thanks Woody, I did think that but didn't know if there would be stability issues if it's not toothed in at all at the corner.

Gary, yes that's that I'd do if it was metric and to be fair I could just go metric and do that.

Only reason I'm doing this is to match the existing front of the house at the other end, so if I'm going about it the wrong way or if there's a better way of doing it then any advice welcome. Thinking now I might just build the corner up as normal and put ties every few courses and add blocks laid flat to bring the corner section forward.
Hope I'm not sounding like I'm over complicating this as that's not the intention:eek:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back