Cavity wall gap- maximum size for insulation grant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve just had an “energy assessor” round to measure up for cavity wall and loft insulation. Apparently, one of my cavities (the end wall) is 83 mm, and the other 2 are 62mm. The 62mm cavities are fine, but the 83mm cavity isn’t covered by a grant (I applied through the Tesco £198 scheme), as this only covers up to 80mm. I would therefore have to pay an additional amount to cover to extra 3mm. Is this restriction normal or should I look at another scheme?

CD

Sponsored Links
How was the cavity measured?

From what I saw, and he clearly wasn't too keen on being accompanied on his visit, he drilled the outer wall then inserted a wire rod with tape on it (presumably predetermined marks or something), withdrew the rod then measured some distance on the rod. Is this a normal way?

Sounds like a crafty cop-out to me.

I appreciate these companies have to have a cut-off point, but, as woodster has said, how are they justifying their measuring?

Sponsored Links
I think the "surveyor" needs his cavity measuring :evil: :p :LOL:

Sounds like a crafty cop-out to me.

I appreciate these companies have to have a cut-off point, but, as woodster has said, how are they justifying their measuring?

Sounds like it to me as well. Also forgot to mention that the 83mm cavity was the end wall and subsequently the biggest wall- as it has the, erm, pointy bit. Is it called the gable end?

Am I right in assuming that the cavity gap won't be perfectly even throughout- so it may be 83mm at the point he drilled, but 1 meter along it could be 79mm or less??

Tell their surveyor that you yourself measured the cavity and to the best of your knowledge the average gap is 79.8mm. :p

Indeed, the pointy bit is the gable end.

A single measurement is not at all reliable or indicative of the cavity as a whole

And surely the grant is for the house and not individual walls? Cant the walls be averaged out?

If you don't have the actual details of the conditions of the grant, then I would suspect that his is a dubious attempt to not do the work, or get more money from you.

Come to think of it, is drilling the wall to check cavity width actually standard practice? I would have thought that a visual check for actual cavity construction, and possibly along with an approximation of cavity width is the norm. I've never heard of an invasive test being done for insulation work :rolleyes:

A single measurement is not at all reliable or indicative of the cavity as a whole

And surely the grant is for the house and not individual walls? Cant the walls be averaged out?

If you don't have the actual details of the conditions of the grant, then I would suspect that his is a dubious attempt to not do the work, or get more money from you.

Come to think of it, is drilling the wall to check cavity width actually standard practice? I would have thought that a visual check for actual cavity construction, and possibly along with an approximation of cavity width is the norm. I've never heard of an invasive test being done for insulation work :rolleyes:

Can't the walls be averaged out? Too simple sir!! And I believe an invasive test if the normal, indeed the only way of checking the depth and condition (in case they have been pre filled!) of the cavities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back