Cavity Wall Insulation Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

My wife and I have lived in our 1972 semi-detached home for two years now. Last year I noticed an alarming amount of polystyrene balls in my garden and was informed that this is our cavity wall insulation escaping. These balls are also an inch or so deep in some parts of our loft. I have blocked as many holes and small cavities on exterior walls as I can but still they escape.

We don’t know which company installed this insulation as we don’t have any paper reference left by previous owners.

My questions are:

Is this shoddy workmanship, if not how does this happen?

Would our local council have a record of installers as I’m lead to believe that these companies need to register their work? If the work was guaranteed I would hope to contact the company in order to amend the situation.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Is this shoddy workmanship, if not how does this happen?

If it was shoddy workmanship, then there would have been a garden full of polystyrene the day after installation.

Leaking insulation can happen for several reasons. But if you have not done an work recently, then the house has moved naturally and a gap opened up.

Find the gap and seal it

your balls are shrinking :eek: or loosing the small amount of adhesive that originally held them together

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hijack...

We have this type of cavity insulation and are about to have a wood burner installed with the flue going out through an external wall and up the side of the house.

Now I understand the polystyrene balls are flammable - the installers are reputable proffessionals - they'll be using twin-walled flue etc.

I just wanted to ask what the likely issues could be and what to look out for during the installation?

Ta in advance

Jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back