Cavity wall integrity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having an 'inset' gas fire installed - one of those that's set into the wall and looks a bit like a TV. Because there is no chimney breast, the fire protrudes a good few inches out of the back of the wall so a brick built enclosure is needed as a housing, and in which the balanced flue will be located.

When discussing the installation three months ago, I'm sure that it was said that the enclosure would need to be brick and block with cavity insulation as that is now a requirement. But now that construction is under way I see that it's just a single leaf of brick.

Anyone know anything about this sort of thing? Should it be brick and block with cavity?

Sponsored Links
your main walls are brick/block with insulated cavity....that`s what they were talking about ;) :oops:

No, it was definitely the false chimney breast that was being discussed. And I have subsequently discovered that it has been constructed with a cavity. At the point when I saw it, a concrete platform had been constructed that obscured the blocks below. A few courses of bricks had been laid above, the blocks followed.

Sponsored Links
well thats ok. seems a bit ott. but nowt would surprise me with regs nowadays

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back