Cavity Walls...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All

further to my recent post, we are having a double storey side extension, garage utility below, and bedroom above.....

my plans state that all habitable rooms should have cavity wall with insulation construction

i notice the bulder has buit up to 1st floor on the garage wall with a cavity wall as i expected, but with no insulation - apparently this is not needed, and will be built in from the 1st floor up for the bedroom above only.

the plans state that the bedroom floor / garage ceiling should be insulated, so it does seem ok to me but....this seem right to everybody?

the walls are built with 100mm insulating blocks

ta

Sponsored Links
i would say that your builder is trying to cut down cost.

what happens if one day you decide to turn the garage into a habitable room?

Aye, if the approved plans state only habitable rooms need insulating you're snookered, tis a shame as woody noted.

apparently this is not needed

Tell your builder neither is a cavity wall needed (with or without insulation) to the garage then. Understandably we know why it has been done like that, to prevent additional support at first floor level to support the new cavity wall, so it's easier constructing a cavity wall from ground floor all the way up.

If a cavity's present, it may as well be filled. The builder may not have priced for this so it may be a little extra, but it'll be worth it. Will save a lot of time and money in the long term too, especially if you or the new owners decides (as FMT says) to convert the garage to habitable accommodation at a later date.

Sponsored Links
Again, what do the drawings say?

In the previous post the builder seemed to be deviating from the drawings and doing his own thing. In this post, it seems that the builder is following the drawings.

The OP can't have it both ways and question changes from the drawing, and also question compliance with them. The builder's head will be spinning

Two points to remember ... engage a good professional to prepare drawings to your specific requirements. Then employ a builder who will follow the drawings. Then you get the finished job which you asked for

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back