CCTV via LOFT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, I'm looking at get CCTV.. I wanted to get the RING set up but the spotlight cam can only be plugged in ( I wanted to wire it to the existing floodlight circuit ) and if I cut the plug off it voids the warranty. Plus I'm not keen on a subscription.

So my next thought was to get a DVR set up in the loft, and put a camera in each corner.. My question is can this be done easy enough with my roof set up ? As it doesn't have a fascia.. again this might sound completely stupid! The insulation picture is at the very front of the roof if that makes sense.. I've never had to wire anything in a loft space before

Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    241.9 KB · Views: 304
  • 20190228_162116.jpg
    20190228_162116.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 309
Sponsored Links
Can you not drill through the gable end wall as high as possible. One thing to consider is spiders the little buggers delight in spinning webs across the cameras. I have two fixed within reach of a window the others are about 12 feet up so a paint brush wedged in the end of a plastic pipe is my weapon of choice!;)

Hi,

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, I'm looking at get CCTV.. I wanted to get the RING set up but the spotlight cam can only be plugged in ( I wanted to wire it to the existing floodlight circuit ) and if I cut the plug off it voids the warranty. Plus I'm not keen on a subscription.

So my next thought was to get a DVR set up in the loft, and put a camera in each corner.. My question is can this be done easy enough with my roof set up ? As it doesn't have a fascia.. again this might sound completely stupid! The insulation picture is at the very front of the roof if that makes sense.. I've never had to wire anything in a loft space before

Thanks for your advice.

I will have a look again in the loft.. might sound daft but it looks straight along that side.. no gable wall?

Just got up.. the gable end at the front I can access.. question though this is above my little boys room that is always cold and we have fought to no avail with Morris homes.. looking at the pictures it's just brick then insulation.. shouldn't that also have breeze block? 20191217_182746.jpg 20191217_182805.jpg 20191217_182756.jpg 20191217_182825.jpg

Sponsored Links
No idea about the construction really I guess the gable end at the front is only an infill so may just be single skin, my last house was 9" solid to roof height but the infill was just single breeze. Have you looked at the gables on either side of the house for getting wire through to the corners too?

No idea about the construction really I guess the gable end at the front is only an infill so may just be single skin, my last house was 9" solid to roof height but the infill was just single breeze. Have you looked at the gables on either side of the house for getting wire through to the corners too?

Yeah.. I don't want the cameras too high and can get easy access to both sides of the house in the loft.. so I'll drill through each side and drop two cables down each, bring down and split to either side of the house.

Thanks for your help pal.. any CCTV systems you would recommend? I was looking at this..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-...ocphy=1007200&hvtargid=pla-421956250496&psc=1

also would it run from the 5amp plug socket I already have in the loft (It has an aerial splitter plugged in now so would uses a double plug)

I normally check the cavity see if it’s open at the top , drill up a motar course and push a rod up to the loft getting the camera at first floor level

Another way to do it so the cameras are lower is to run the cable behind the drainage down pipes to your preferred level.
The cable still has to be protected so usually 16mm oval trunking then fix drainage back up covering the trunking.

Ordering Hikvision via Amazon or eBay with a longer delivery time means it will be a grey import, unsupported in the UK and may not even be genuine.

Google for an authorised UK distributor.

I have a ESP Digiview8IPro 8 Camera 8 Channel CCTV Kit 1000GB DVR system not HD but good for the price and very quiet recorder had it since 2015 been fine so far.

I've been quoted £450 for installation of 2 x 5mps Hikvision cameras with DVR and monitor.. what do you think?

Other than that it's buy the set up myself, drill each side of the house and run the cables, but the DVR would have to be plugged in the 5amp socket in the loft and I'd have to use a TP Link to get the Wifi??

Is 'Doris Cameras' an authorised Hikvision seller? If so they will say so on their website.

For a start it’s hi-look not hikvision dvr .....and the cameras are not hikvision ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back