CCTV WHICH ONE TO BUY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to fit a cctv wireless, i am after the dome shape type which hangs off the wall
looking to spend £200 to £300, i wanted zoom lens and 350 degree swivel movement
can anyone recommend a camera thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't waste your money on wireless cctv
Load of rubbish very poor quality and poor picture resolution. You will not get a lot for the money want to spend.
Stay clear of Swann kits and other cheap kits .lots of issues and the cheap dvr will fail in short time
You have been warned !!!!!!

I use Hikvision DVR's and cameras, decent quality and price.
Would also recommend either a WD Purple or a Seagate SV35 HDD.

Never used a wireless system, much prefer using cat6 cable

Sponsored Links
Never used a wireless system, much prefer using cat6 cable

Reason?

Same reason that I always use "wired" alarm systems.

Call me "old school" but for me, you can't beat a correctly installed wired system.

It will give you far less problems and just the one battery to test / maintain instead of many.

Potentially anything wireless could be hacked / blocked either now or in the future.

Hikvision for me also here - Image quality has to be seen to be believed -Prices are good too for what you get.
Just bought an NVR with Purple HDs as was previously using their PC NVR version but lacking in features

Forget wireless and most definitely forget Swann - what a load of tosh.....

We tend to fit Samsung which is usually customer spec'd....Have also used HIK products but the brand still raises eybrows to
customers.....

I meant using cat6 over cat5.

Future proofing as much as possible, Cat6 is capable of handling much more data than Cat5 / 5e.

Maybe overkill for now but for the extra cost it's a no-brainer and much cheaper than having to replace cables in the future if the cameras / system requires it.

I meant using cat6 over cat5.

Future proofing as much as possible, Cat6 is capable of handling much more data than Cat5 / 5e.

Maybe overkill for now but for the extra cost it's a no-brainer and much cheaper than having to replace cables in the future if the cameras / system requires it.
Serious question but do you test and certify the Cat6 cable you install? if not you'll be surprised at how little of a bend it takes to fail. We had a data/telecoms engineer wiring Cat6 points to desks on a previous job, just a small kink around a corner and it failed. Just wondering how you would go on with cable runs involving going through brick walls and creating 90 degree bends etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back