cctv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about installing a cctv system to the front and side of my house which currently have flood light fittings.
Will the lights have any adverse effect on the cameras when they both come on in the dark and should I remove/retain the lights?

Sponsored Links
Depends on your cameras, there location and the light from the devices.

You will see many cameras adjust to night time when its dark enough, a bright light coming on the camera may adjust to day time settings and back when the light switches off.

This can cause a short loss of footage from your camera reacts depends on the camera and the light from the light when it comes on and off. There was a nice little does and don't wrt to the lights that explain it better but I cant find it at present.

I would keep the light get clearer view, also don't let the light shine directly into the camera.

Many thanks for your advice SecureIam and 1975.
I should have pointed out that I live in an unmade unlit rd and the light is a must in the dark nights.
I was thinking of a wireless 2 camera system, and my budget is around £300.
I understand that this is the lower end cost of the systems available but I'm really only interested in recording and identifying any unwelcome intruders.
Am I expecting to much?

Sponsored Links
I got mine on Amazon some years ago for £150, have a look on there, read the review and Q&A.

Why, I would be interested in your to hear your reasons.

I have had several wireless cameras all of which were crap. For your budget you will not get any decent ones and will cause you more of a headache than it's worth. Hard wired are reliable, the initial install and stuff is obviously a bit more but worth it in the end. If you are going to put up an outside wireless camera it's going to require a lead for power you might as well go full whack and make it a wired camera (POE preferred)

The main problems I saw with wireless cameras I have had is losing connection randomly due to it being wireless (you never know what is interfering with the wireless) and the picture quality running over wireless I have never found to be anywhere close to wired. Like I said with budget you could get some decent wireless cameras I am sure but for a lot more than you are willing to spend.

I have had several wireless cameras all of which were crap. For your budget you will not get any decent ones and will cause you more of a headache than it's worth. Hard wired are reliable, the initial install and stuff is obviously a bit more but worth it in the end. If you are going to put up an outside wireless camera it's going to require a lead for power you might as well go full whack and make it a wired camera (POE preferred)

The main problems I saw with wireless cameras I have had is losing connection randomly due to it being wireless (you never know what is interfering with the wireless) and the picture quality running over wireless I have never found to be anywhere close to wired. Like I said with budget you could get some decent wireless cameras I am sure but for a lot more than you are willing to spend.
Many thanks for your advice, I will certainly take on board your your suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back