Ceiling and mist coat for kitchen ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Friends

Can anyone recommend a top quality matt brilliant white ceiling paint which would be suitable for applying in a kitchen.

A paint with some flexibility and a finish that grease/stains can be wiped off easily would be appreciated.

Please can anyone also advise on what I should use as a mist coat. Would 'Gliddens contract matt' as previously suggested for walls also be suitable?

Once again, I want a really professional finish, so paying a few extra quid for decent paint is no major deal.

Many thanks

Need Help21

Sponsored Links
Once again, I want a really professional finish, so paying a few extra quid for decent paint is no major deal.

Dulux Trade Diamond Matt should do you, using same product as mist coat.

I cannot see why anyone would use a contract matt as a mist coat, only to put a vinyl based product straight over the top, as you've been advised by Spice, on a previous thread.
If the plaster is already dry, what possible difference can it make?

Just doesn't make sense to me.[/i]

I cannot see why anyone would use a contract matt as a mist coat, only to put a vinyl based product straight over the top, as you've been advised by Spice, on a previous thread.
If the plaster is already dry, what possible difference can it make?

Just doesn't make sense to me.

The Op is using a kitchen and bathroom paint as his chosen finish, not a good idea to use that as a miscoat, thats why I suggested a contract matt on top of new plaster.

I know you can put a Vinyl on skimmed plaster, but less chance of any problems if he uses a contract underneath the kitchen paint, or have I read his post wrong. :confused:

I still see no benefit in putting "contract" on first.

What problem are you trying to avoid?

Sponsored Links
Gents

I will probably go for Growlers suggestion of Dulux Trade Diamond Matt on the ceiling.

Considering I shall not be using Dulux Kitchen paint on the ceiling, should I stick with watered down Dulux Trade Diamond Matt as the mist, or go with Spice's previous suggestion of gliddens' contract matt as the mist?

Cheers

Need Help21

Let's narrow it down.

Contract matt is specificall designed to be "breathable" over new plaster, that's why they call it contract.
So if you're walls/ceilings don't need to breathe, in my opinion it's a bit pointless using it and then applying a non-breathable paint directly over the top.
If you really want to do the correct thing, buy some Dulux plaster sealer and apply that first as long as your surface is dry.

Incidentally..Spice gives great advice and is female and so might I be :eek:

I know what you mean about the matt mist coat..i use vinyl matt if its only a skim..cant see the point in buying seprate paint and ending up with wastage

But...the thing is about contract matt is that its cheap and rubs down easier...bearing in mind the because of the suction the first coat does tend to show up a lot of roller marks and orage peel..sometimes I have found rubbing down vinyl matt harder plus it has a tendency to lift a little bit if you rub a certain area a lot over bare plaster.

It makes sense what 'le Growl' says...my only concern though...is diamond matt intented to be thinned that much as a mist?...could it break down the structure of the paint?

(this is coming from someone who thinned out some pliolite to use as a primer of two pine fascia boards on the outside of a pub...then a undercoat of the same then gloss in a matching colour... :oops: but its still perfect ten years down the line) :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back