Ceiling drama...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys...

Help needed please.

Recently removed the artex from our living room ceiling, after having to tolerate the peeling mess the previous occupier left us with for ny on 12 months.

Having removed the artex a smooth platster board type "thing" was revealed and contrary to my belief I was told i could paint straight onto it.. It wasn't paper lined board, quite a glossy, smooth finish.

20 minutes after applying the paint.. it was dropping to the floor, just peeling, so i pulled it all off and PVC sealed it.. this also just peeled off when the paint was applied.

Final option, apart from ripping the whole thing down, was lining paper, which appears to have worked, apart from the odd seam thats folded off the ceiling.. Is it worthwhile now the lining paper is on, sealing that with PVA before painting?

Hope someone out there can help

Dougieball

Sponsored Links
try pva glueing down the bits that are folding down, you can get some extra strenght pva, then just paint it, i wouldnt pva the lining paper at all!!!
just leave it a week before painting to give it time to settle giving the problems you are having

Your best bet when dealing with anything that is smooth is oil based primer. It sticks to your plastic paint kettle so will stick to most other stuff. (other than silicone).

My fear is that if you paint your lining paper with water soluble matt it will reactivate the paste and the whole lot will come down.

Once again, your best chance is oil based primer as it won't reactivate the paste.

PVA is a no-no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back