ceiling fan remote control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling fan in conservatory and the radio remote control has packed up. The main suppliers want nearly £70 for replacement transmitter and receiver/control unit.
I have seen remote control units (infrared) advertised for less than half the above price but for 'Westinghouse' fans, which mine isn't. A query to the supplier came back with the response 'could not guarantee it would work on my unit'.
My fan is 3 speed with 3 lamps which can be dimmed/switched on and off via the controller.
The replacement control unit appeared identical to the one that slots into the top encloseure of my fan. i.e. same shape and functions. As it is required to switch the fan on 3 separate speeds and dim what is basically a mains unit would not any controller (e.g. a 'Westinghouse) do the same to my unit/
Thanks

Sponsored Links
would not any controller (e.g. a 'Westinghouse) do the same to my unit

answered your own question

A query to the supplier came back with the response 'could not guarantee it would work on my unit'.

most infra red devices have a "code" so they do not interfear with any other IR devices. unless the codes are the same it will not work.

or look at it this way

your tv remote control is infra red, will it operate another tv the same way? the answer is no because othe code is different

or if you get a universal remote control there are hundreds of codes to choose from to make the remote control operate your particular tv

You should be able to get a remote control transmitter & a receiver that you will be able to fit to your fan unit from here http://www.maplin.co.uk unfortunately the website seems to have a problem at the moment & I cannot get a direct link to the item, but as long as you select one with the smae ratings as your current one you should be ok. Sorry do not know their prices either.

Sorry guys. I may not have made it clear.. I need to replace the control unit attached to the electrics in the top cover of the fan housing and these come with a compatible handset.
What I need to know is if the ones advertised as 'suitable for Westinghouse Fans' would also work with my 'Holcombe' fan. They both have 3 speeds for the fan and the lights are dimmable.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably yes, as long as they have the same loading ratings, which you should be able to ascertain from the tech spec. & the receiver will physically fit into your fan housing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back